Dec 31, 2013

Resolutions


It's somehow the 31st of December already. I'm not sure how that happened. I have to say, I'm happy with this year. I'm so happy with it. At the start of 2013 I was dealing with severe amounts of stress, dealing with some really awful people, and struggling to make it through uni while at the same time dealing with everything else life had thrown at me. A hell of a lot of "everythings". At the same time, I was expected to put on a brave face and act like nothing was going on. And at the start of the year through all this, some of my closest friends were absolute dicks to me and took complete advantage even through they knew what I'd been through. Fast-forward to now and it's a different story.

I've aced uni and made it through to honours. I've removed all the toxic assholes from my life. I have friends who aren't fighting with someone new every week. I have friends who aren't just being nice to me to get with me. I have friends who don't lie to my face. At the start of the year I had everything against me, and a lot of people thought that my chances of making it through and not only making it but doing well were slim to none. But I did it, and I'm really proud of myself.

Anyone that went through what I'd been through would've been accepted for wallowing in their own pain and misery, not succeeding at their goals would've been completely understood. But I got there anyway. Before I make a list of resolutions for next year, I want to look back at the things I did this year. These were my resolutions at the start of the year, and my results underneath:

  • I'm going to try and reduce my reliance on Alcohol to get me through social situations, even if that makes me suddenly appear a lot more shy.
I think I've been properly drunk maybe twice all year. I also started going to different parties. I've actively gone out and met an entire new group of people and I'm much more confident in a group environment. I know how to have a good time with great new people now, and I have courage to thank for that.
  • I'm going to stop joking about my physical imperfections, and I'm not going to tolerate jokes in that direction toward me from others anymore either...and I'll make sure I show them the same respect in return. I won't get in a fight about it, I'll just make it clear that it's not appropriate and change the subject. Particularly breast size and weight. I'm so sick of being picked on for being little in every way. If I called someone fat it would be an outrage, and it makes me feel like less of a woman when people say I look like a twelve year old.
This has been well-and-truly put into action. None of my friends would dare comment negatively on my body now, and on top of that, I've surrounded myself with the sort of people that also uphold these values and removed the ones that made me feel the need to stick up for myself in regards to regular degrading, offensive and sexist comments.
  • I'm going to make an effort to talk to people that I haven't really spoken to before now. There are a lot of people at uni that I see all of the time and am always just way too timid to say anything of quality to, and that needs more effort on my part.
I have become heavily involved with a brand new community of girls, who have become fast friends. I've even traveled interstate on holidays with these ladies and it's made a huge difference to my life. It's so great to feel as if I'm on the same page as others for once. It's a good fit.
  • I'm going to work freaking hard on my marks this year and not let other things get in the way.
Fucking honours bishes. Not much more to say.

Safe to say I achieved everything and more that I set out to do this year.

So now I need to look at 2014. What is the plan for this new year? What do I want to change? What do I want to keep the same? What am I working toward? Who do I want around? Who don't I? I guess I'll get back to you on that one. For now, it's party time.




No comments: