Sep 7, 2011

Things I'd love to do over the summer break


It's time to start making fun lists again. We're at week nine of a 12-week trimester, last assignments are coming, exams will all be over by October 18th. As daunting as these last few weeks will be in terms of workload, I'm experiencing dizzying levels of excitement at the prospect of so much free time to use willingly in my near future. So much time to focus on learning new things and working hard on things because they are personally interesting, important and currently relevant to me and not because they are part of what is an interesting but not always perfectly engaging course structure. I can't wait!

This will be my first summer living near some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. My first summer with some new friends that I think I have connected to in ways I've never connected to people before. My first summer living in a share house where so much of my time will be my own and where for once, I am in the right space in my own head. A summer where I'm single and I'm not answering to anyone. There is so much I can do in 5 weeks' time! Here's a list of things that I'm really excited about sinking my teeth into. I'll add to it further as the time until university break becomes closer.


  • This summer I really want to write a proper published paper on the nature of human responsibility and it's influence on large-scale social change. I've been thinking about writing something big for a few years now, but I didn't want to write just for the sake of writing. I wanted to actually have something to say that people could talk about. Something that would act as an interesting catalyst for further discussion, because I think that exploration of a topic by many people holds more value than the opinion of one person. I feel that sometimes I come across as a know-it-all and that sometimes I fall into the trap of actually being that way as well, but I also think that I have come up with a very interesting idea on something in particular recently, and that research and publishing on that idea is a good way to get people talking about that - which means I can listen to others' opinions and really get an opportunity to learn something and test something out from an initial spark, not just from my own personal opinion. We shall see if I actually do this over summer, it's a huge body of work I'm talking about, but it seems so fun too. I have 300 words already saved as a writing plan, so there's that.
  • I really want to get fit and get into a healthier lifestyle pattern this summer too. Winter and busy study schedules has meant that I have fallen into laziness with my diet, sleep and exercise routines and I'm excited about the free time I'll have to pour into change there. I want to play with my own motivation levels during my time off so that I can do more with the time I have. This time studying seems so precious after being married and having worked in a corporate world with few hours to myself in the past. It's such a huge opportunity full of freedom.
  • I want to start making things more. I'm planning on getting a whole lot of things from the craft store and learning more about friendship bracelets, because I want to make a heap of really nice ones. I love being able to give little things to my mates in times of financial hardship and I think friendship bracelets are a really nice symbol of appreciation for people. They are the cutest things ever and I plan on never growing out of them. It's important to tell people that you think they're great. We forget to appreciate people that change our lives for the better on a daily basis at times, and those really are special people.
  • I am going to finish that damn drawing of Poppy for once because it has been sitting on top of my bookcase for months now!
  • I can't wait to spend more time at the beach, both to tone up and for the sheer enjoyment of the beautiful weather to come. It's so much fun bodyboarding. I might even try to surf some more this spring and summer. I'm hilariously bad at it, but I'm ok with being comic relief and I'd love to learn. Hopefully I'll get a few mates out there too, it's so much more fun when you're sharing the experience. That and dammit I'm getting these legs into better shape, they are just shameful right now aurghh!
  • I want to spend more time talking to, hanging out with and getting to know this one person. I have no idea how that will go and I'm a bit apprehensive about straight-up saying that in case they get really freaked out and start imagining loss of freedom and balls and chains, so we'll see. I'm in completely new territory here so I'm going to just hope for the best and tread super lightly. I'm not sure what will happen with that, but I like spending time getting to know interesting people, so for now that can be my primary aim.
  • I want to spend more time with my family. I've had so much fun with them all over the past couple of months and one thing I've started to notice is just how many things I can learn from all of them. Time with each of them is so precious, it needs to be preserved and cherished.
  • More fantastic time to learn as much as I possibly can about music. I think I'm going to start properly learning musical theory after classes finish for the year. It's something I've always admired in others and never imagined I'd be able to achieve myself, but I enjoy music so much that I think any form of learning more about it would be great, even if I don't master it.
I'm very excited! So many amazing things coming up on the immediate horizon and only a few short weeks of hard work until I get all of the freedom a girl could ever ask for.


No comments: